Step 4: Construction

Site Disturbance Permit

Before grading or performing other earth disturbances, a Site Disturbance Permit must be issued.

  • Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and Stormwater Management Plan: It is preferred that these plans be submitted as part of the Site Plan or Final Development Plan process. However, if construction is ready to begin and these documents have not yet been submitted, you may submit these documents within 30 days.
  • Fees and Escrow: Submittal of both an escrow and fee are also required prior to Permit issuance.

Once a Site Disturbance Permit is issued, site stormwater best management practices (BMPs) that were approved in the plans must be installed.

  • Before Construction: Arvada must conduct an initial inspection of the installation of BMPs before grading begins.
  • During Construction: Engineering staff will perform routine oversight inspections of site BMPs to ensure the site continues to comply with the Site Disturbance Permit. Results of the City's Oversight Inspections can be viewed through eTRAKiT.

Additional Colorado and Federal Permits

Projects that disturb 1+ acre (or less than 1 acre if part of a larger common plan of development) must obtain a State Stormwater Discharges Associated With Construction Activity General Permit from the State of Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Please visit Colorado Government Site for an introduction to Water Quality Construction Permits.

Additional Permits that may be required for construction may include Colorado's Construction Dewatering Permit should groundwater be anticipated, and the federal Army Corps of Engineers 404 Permit should there be activity within the floodway.

Development permits

A DEV (Development Permit) is required for work in the right-of-way or easement for any development in the City of Arvada that has been approved by the Development Engineer for construction. This permit will be approved for payment once we have signed construction plans, an escrow or letter of credit (LOC) for the public improvements, an issued site disturbance permit (if necessary) and appropriate engineering reports. This permit will include applicable public improvement types and quantities according to the signed construction plans. These types of improvements can include wet utilities, flatwork, asphalt patching, paving, overlay, subbase, subgrade, milling, street degradation fees, public signs, striping, pavement markings, etc. The permit application will be created by the City of Arvada Warranty team and emailed to the developer/general contractor once you have met the previous requirements.

Escrow or Letter of Credit

Escrow or Letter of Credit (LOC): Developers are required to provide an escrow in the amount of 100% of the estimated cost of public improvements via cash escrow or letter of credit. When the developer successfully completes the public improvements and initial warranty is initiated, the City will retain 20% of the certified construction costs and release the remainder of the escrow back to the developer. The City will retain 20% of the certified construction cost of public improvements to ensure that the public improvement meets the City standards through the warranty period. Download the City of Arvada Standard Letter of Credit Form (PDF).

Pre-Construction Meeting

Before the DEV permit will be issued and set to "Under Construction":

All interested parties must attend a Pre-Construction Field Meeting. This ensures you have the information on how the City will interact with you and/or your Municipal General Contractor and all subcontractors to make the inspections and warranty process run smoothly. The Permit Coordinator will schedule this meeting for you within 2 weeks of your desired project start date once the DEV permit has been paid.

For additional information on this process please visit Development Permits Page.

Building Permits

All public improvements must be completed before a building permit is issued. The Building Division provides building permit applications, plan review, and inspection services for commercial and residential construction throughout the City. Permits can only be issued after your final plans are approved and public improvements are constructed, inspected and placed under initial warranty acceptance. For additional information on building permitting, please visit New Commercial Buildings, Commercial Additions and Multi-Family Page.


Online (eTRACKit)Phone

Inspections scheduled online at Arvada Permits Site

Call the building division at 720-898-7630. Inspections confirmed before 6 am will be performed the same day.

When to Apply

  • You may submit your building application following development plan approval or concurrently with your development application. If you submit concurrently and your development plan is not approved, you will need to pay applicable fees when re-submitting.
  • Building permit applications and plans should not be submitted before the 2nd City Review of your final plans. Changes to your final plans may impact the final building design.

Certificate of Occupancy

Upon completion of the construction project, final inspection approvals are required before a Certificate of Occupancy (C.O) or a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (T.C.O) may be issued and the building occupied. The approvals necessary may include all or part of the following: building codes approval, fire code approval, planning and zoning approval, development agreement, city engineering standards, utility commitments for water and sewer, liquor license approval, health department approval, approvals under state and federal laws and other requirements as applicable to your project. Arvada Municipal Code requires a C.O or T.C.O in order for a building to be occupied. It is the responsibility of the developer to replace any broken, cracked, settled, raised, etc. curb, gutter and sidewalk that fronts a lot prior to obtaining a C.O. This includes damage existing prior to and following construction.