Right of Way

Who Needs a Right-of-Way Permit

General public improvements consisting of construction, reconstruction and remodeling of storm drains, irrigation ditches, fire lines, sewer and water lines (including new services and/or repairs on private property between the property line and the building), sewer and water mains, curb and gutters, sidewalks, streets, potholing, boring, traffic-control devices and similar improvements which are constructed on public rights-of-way, easements and other public property. All right-of-way permits can only be issued to a contractor that carries a current Municipal General Contractor license with the City of Arvada Engineering.

Before You Apply

Please visit the appropriate permitting page below, as well as the City's Construction Projects and Street Cut Moratorium maps. 

  • City Construction Projects
    • If proposed work is near a project on this map, the applicant must coordinate with the City to minimize damage and avoid interference with the work. Email the permit team for information.
  • City Street Cut Moratorium
    • If proposed work affects streets highlighted on this map, a permit is subject to approval and may require special asphalt restoration requirements.
    • Visit the Street Cut Moratorium page for more information about work on a street in moratorium.

Permit Types

These permits must be applied for online. Choose the appropriate category below to learn more.

Additional Information

Floodplain Development Permits

If your property is in a floodplain, a floodplain development permit may be required in order to build on, alter, regrade, or fill your property. Always check with the Engineering Division prior to construction. 

This permit may be required to ensure that your project does not cause problems on other properties. The permit application (PDF) can be obtained through the Engineering Division. View the Floodplain Regulations in the Arvada Land Development Code to learn how to build responsibly in a high-hazard flood zone. If you have any questions please contact the Engineering Division at 720-898-7640. View an interactive floodplain map and find additional information on the Flood Preparedness page.

Sidewalk Chase Drains

Sidewalk chase drains help direct runoff from a property directly to the curb. A Right-of-Way Permit is required to install a chase drain. Please find more information on the Sidewalk Chase Drains page

In order to efficiently serve our community the City of Arvada Engineering Division started collecting use tax on every right-of-way permit at the time of permit issuance in 2019. This change simplifies the tax payment process for both contractors and the City as taxes will be collected up front instead of after the project has been completed. 

  • Fees are calculated on the job value provided on your application. 
  • Sales and Use Tax is required by law on all materials and equipment incorporated in or used in the performance of the work. 
  • The contractor/developer is subject to audits on these taxes. 

Once the permit is issued, please use the permit when purchasing goods and materials for your project. If you are an Arvada Business License holder you can submit your Business license number for quarterly reporting. If the project is tax exempt, you will need to include your project specific tax exempt form.