W 72nd Avenue Bond Project
April 10 Community Meeting
Join the City team for updates about the W 72nd project, including progress on Phase 2 construction from Oak to Swadley Court and information about Phase 3 from Oak to Kipling.
- Date: Wednesday, April 10
- Time: 5:30 to 7:30 pm (open house, drop-in window)
- Location: First United Church of Arvada, 7159 Simms Street
The event will be open house style. Please drop by as you are available to receive information. If you are unable to attend, information will be shared digitally following the event. Visit this project page or sign up for email updates to receive the information after the event.
Week of February 25
The speed limit on W 72nd Avenue is 25 miles per hour. For your safety, and the safety of other motorists, pedestrians, cyclists and construction crew members, please slow down when driving through the active construction zone.
Crews will work Monday through Friday, from 6 am to 7 pm. Crews may work weekends during these hours if necessary. Construction activities are weather-dependent and subject to change.
School traffic: expect heavier traffic and traffic delays along the corridor from 7 - 9:30 am and from 2:45 – 4:30 pm.
Updates: Simms to Oak
- All four new lanes of travel are open from Simms to Oak Street
- Intermittent lane closures can still be expected
- Expect daily lane closures for irrigation installation, pavement making and signage installation
- Ongoing work includes roadway striping, sidewalk work, installing traffic signals, railing, fence, irrigation and signage
- Utility companies will continue work east of Oak to Kipling streets
- Street light operations will continue for the foreseeable future
Pierson Court at W 72nd Avenue is permanently closed.
The Public Works department presents to the City Council with updates about the bond projects at W 72nd Avenue and Ralston Road.
- December 11, 2023: Quarterly Bond Project Update
- 2018: voters approve West 72 Avenue and Ralston Road bond projects
- 2021 to 2022: Phase 1 Utility Work
- 2022 to 2024: Phase 2 Swadley to Oak Street construction (spring)
- Late 2024 / Early 2025 to 2027: Phase 3 will begin in late 2024 or early 2025 from Oak to Kipling
- Please note: this phase is the most time and resource intensive due to the work at the railroad. The design is still being finalized with the railroad company. This timeline is approximate based on design approval.
- 2027: project complete
- In the November 6, 2018 election, Arvada residents approved Ballot Issue 3F for a bond issue to fund improvements to Ralston Road and W 72nd Avenue.
- W. 72nd Avenue is a major east-west corridor for Arvada, serving 21,000 vehicle trips each day. This regional corridor provides access to Westminster and Golden /Jefferson County.
- The Citizens' Capital Improvement Plan Committee (CCIPC) ranked improvements to W 72nd Avenue as a high priority.
- The project also meets concerns expressed in recent Arvada Citizen Surveys.
- The 2014 Comprehensive Plan generated transportation models indicating that the congestion, operation and safety of W 72nd Avenue will deteriorate with the build-out of the City.
Why Improvement is Needed
- West of Kipling St., W 72nd Avenue shrinks abruptly from four lanes to two, creating a bottleneck.
- The at-grade Union Pacific Railroad crossing near Oak St. creates major traffic backups when a train passes through.
- The intermittent or absent sidewalks create unsafe conditions for pedestrians and cyclists.
What the Project Entails
- Widen W 72nd Avenue between Kipling and Simms Streets to match the road east of Kipling, eliminating the bottleneck.
- Create an underpass at the Union Pacific Railroad crossing near Oak Street to eliminate traffic backups.
- Add bike lanes and sidewalks.
- Upgrade signalized intersections.
- Resolve significant drainage issues along W 72nd Avenue