What should I do about a barking dog?

It is unlawful for an owner or custodian of an animal to allow that animal to create a disturbance by loud, persistent, or habitual barking, howling, yelping or other unreasonable noise. Before filing an official complaint, it can be useful to try the following: 

  • Try talking. We encourage you to contact your neighbor and try to work it out on the neighborhood level first before filing a complaint. Although this is not required, it can be an effective way of resolving the issue and opening up direct communication with your neighbor.
  • Request a letter. If speaking to them directly is not an option, you may request a form letter, provided by Arvada Animal Management, which you can send to the owner.

To file an official complaint you must provide:

  • An exact location of where the dog lives
  • A description of the animal
  • Dates and timeframes the dog barks
  • Your name, address and phone number

What Happens when a Complaint is Filed?

When Animal Management receives a complaint of a barking dog: 

  • The owner is first given a written or verbal warning. 
  • If this does not resolve the problem, a ticket may be issued. 
  • For a ticket to be issued, the ordinance requires two witnesses from separate households to be willing to testify to the specific complaint. 

If you would like to request a form letter, a brochure on barking dogs or to file a barking dog complaint please submit a service request or call Animal Control at 720-898-6850.

Show All Answers

1. Does my dog or cat need to be licensed?
2. What should I do if I find or lose a pet?
3. What should I do if I find an injured pet or animal?
4. What should I do if I suspect or know of animal abuse or neglect?
5. What should I do if I encounter a habitual leash law or pooper scooper violator?
6. What should I do about a barking dog?
7. Can I feed wild animals?
8. Can I report coyote activity?